Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Login issue
Login issue [message #689283] Wed, 08 November 2023 00:04 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
ORAFaq Forum logs me off almost on daily basis, but OK  - I got used to it, and - if I remember well - we already discussed it. Never mind that.

But, when I click the "Login" link in the upper-right corner of the screen, I'm not redirected to page which requires my username/password combination, but page which asks me to change password (?!?). I just click the "Update" button, without modifying anything on that page. And here I am, logged in.

Is that expected behavior? I don't think so.

Am I the only one who experiences that?
Re: Login issue [message #689284 is a reply to message #689283] Wed, 08 November 2023 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Sounds like the login page thinks you are already logged in. That's why it offers to change your password instead of asking for your user & password. To be honest, I haven't seen this before, and I use the same software of different sites. Maybe try in different browsers to see if it makes a difference.
Re: Login issue [message #689286 is a reply to message #689284] Wed, 08 November 2023 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Just for information, I have never experienced this behavior (I use Firefox 52.9 and 115.4).

Re: Login issue [message #689287 is a reply to message #689283] Wed, 08 November 2023 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I had not noticed any such problem in the past, but I thought I would test to see if it was something new.

I was already logged in using Microsoft Edge Version 119.0.2151.44 (Official build) (64-bit) so I logged out, then logged in again with no problems.

Then I started Firefox 119.0 (64-bit) and did the same with no problems.

Then with both still apparently logged in, I went back to Microsoft Edge and clicked on reply to post this here and it prompted me to login again, so I entered my username and password and logged in, without encountering anything that asked me to change my password.  I suppose my logging out using Firefox may have caused the website to consider me logged out, even though I was logged in using another browser.

I know there are a lot of things that allow you to select things that keep you logged in or store your password and it is easy to accidentally click on one of them, especially if they make it the default.  Could it be that you have some such thing activated and it logs you in, so then, since you selected the login screen, it asks if you want to change your password?
Re: Login issue [message #689288 is a reply to message #689287] Wed, 08 November 2023 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you, everyone. It seems that problem is on my side, but I don't know why. I use Firefox.

Barbara, nope - I don't (and never did) use such a thing. I prefer typing login credentials over storing them.
Re: Login issue [message #689290 is a reply to message #689288] Wed, 08 November 2023 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I found this on mozilla (firefox) support that sounds like your problem with the solution being to use private browsing mode.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1154880

How to turn off message that asks to update password

"When logging in asks to update password but don't want to update. This happens every time since the web site encrypts password so firefox thinks it is a new password. Sometime it updates even though I say no, then have to go into preferences and change password back to original since it picks up the encrypted password. Would be nice if given option to not ask again only options are update or not now.

Chosen solution
The best to prevent this is to access such a website in a Private Browsing mode tab/window.

You can use an extension to get Private Browsing mode support per tab.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/private-tab/

Private Browsing mode tabs get a dashed underline You can toggle Private Browsing mode on/off via the right-click context menu of a tab"

Re: Login issue [message #689293 is a reply to message #689290] Thu, 09 November 2023 05:33 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Private browsing? Thanks, I'll try that too. Firefox itself offers new private window. I'll test it first, and then - if it turn out it works OK - I might install that extension.

On the other hand, during the last few days everything works as expected, no more "funny" links to password update page. Maybe I stepped into a twilight zone, who knows?
Previous Topic: Who is Solomon?
Next Topic: Email notifications of new comments - broken links
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:49:28 CDT 2024